Thursday, October 21, 2010

Jean-Baptiste Lamarck Post 2




1.I chose Jean-Baptiste Lamarck because not only did Charles Darwin and him have similar theories, Darwin also respected Lamarck a great deal and also looked at him to be a great zoologist.

2. Lamarck published many book series that had to do with invertebrate zoology and paleontology.  From all of the books he wrote, Philosphie Zollogique, was the one that stated Lamarcks theories of evolution the best.


3.   The bullet point that I believe Lamarck’s theory of evolution is closely related to would be, “Individulas Do Not Evolve. Populations Do.” In the year 1801 Lamarck stated that, “ Time and favorable conditions are the two principals.” For me this means that individuals inherit the traits from people and generations before. I feel that this idea would solidify Darwin’s theories due to the fact that traits that are passed on over time will always change no matter what.

4. I believe that Darwin could still have come up with his theory of natural selection without any help or influences from other people theories or beliefs.

5.  The attitude of the churches I believe did not affect Darwin in any form. He believed in the natural selection and was going to publish his findings with or without the churches approval. The church did not approve of Darwin’s beliefs because it went against their beliefs. 

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree lamrack was my choice too. I believe that their theories had a lot in commen and were very similar to one another. Lamarck was a brilliant man and lovers science. I love the books that he wrote about his theory i was interested in them and looked them up online. They really do talk about his theory and how he came up with it.

    But i would have to agree with you on the fact that church did not effect darwin because the church didn't agree with his theory at all for many many years and he still pushed and wasn't going to let anyone make him change his mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading your blog post I too think that Lamarck's theories where closely related to Darwin's theory. When I was deciding in my own post who I thought had a theory closely related to Darwin's I kept coming back to Lamrack but finally changed my mind. Also, I do think that Darwin was influenced over the churches somewhat ecause his theory was so different from what the churches believed and being a respectable man didn't want to cause controversy. In the end he did publish his theory so the churches effect on him never completely stopped him from getting his idea published.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your blog as well I re-read and find that Lamrack could be the one who greatly influenced Darwin and almost want to change my answer. I think all the theories somewhat closely relate and all have an scientific approach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A couple of points...

    I would have liked to have seen a description (in #2) of what Lamarck's work addressed. There are some very important differences between Lamarck's and Darwin's work. Also, its important to recognize that Darwin delayed publishing his research not for scientific reasons but for social ones. He was very worried how he would be received after publication and was worried about the affect on his family, primarily because the church had significant influence on the acceptance of works of science in society.

    ReplyDelete